Date:      10 Sep 2001 00:46:25 MDT
From:      J S <spl1t_h0r1z0n@usa.net>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "J S" <spl1t_h0r1z0n@usa.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [RE: [Re: NASA's Operating System?]]

"Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> =

> Hmm,
> =

> 	And I bet you'd probably want to blame the Challenger Tragedy on the f=
act
> that the Space Shuttle is run by 3 IBM System/36 machines.
> =

no, i blame that on an organization run by politicians with a fraction of=
 the
budget and support that it should have, as well as carelessness.  america=

hasn't given more than passing thought to the space program since apollo,=
 and
since '86, most have considered the space program to be a dangerous waste=
 of
money.

> 	The Pentium Pro is only what, 5-6 years old?  I guess you're saying th=
at
> since there's a new WhizBang 2000 out that the US Navy should be runnin=
the
> WhizBang 2000, and should toss out the old WhizBang 1000 models?

no, what i was saying, albeit very sarcastically, was that running a ship=
's
LAN/computer systems with NT, especially on older hardware, is dangerous,=

stupid, and an complete waste of tax money.  =

> division by zero problem was a programming error, not a hardware error,=
 and
> you're not going to find a piece of software out there without errors,
> period.

i didn't claim that there was.

> 	How do you know that they didn't buy that system back in 95-96 when th=
> PPro was brand new and cutting edge?  =

i never made the claim that that wasn't the case.

> 	This kind of sarcasm about how things should be done coming from someo=
ne
> that's probably never served a day in a uniform in their life.

now you are making the incorrect assumptions.  i have been there, done th=
at,
got the tshirt/uniforms/tattoos/etc.  and having been there, i know that =
a lot
of the equipment the military is using is old, recycled shit.  they make =
do
pretty well most of the time, but i have seen first hand that the majorit=
y of
the units out there don't have what could be considered modern equipment =
(i
was a radio operator with an artillery unit, our newer radios were about =
15
years old, some of our older radio gear was circa wwII and korea.  how is=
 that
for modern?).  but i guess it also depends on which branch you are in, wh=
ere
you are, and what politicians the base commander knows.  =

i'm sorry i offended your precious sensibilities.  next time i'll be sure=
ask your permission before i poke fun at ignorant bereaucrats who think t=
hat
M$ is high tech and waste money making redmond rich.

> P.S. You should sleep better knowing that you're protected by the best.=

 =

don't get me started.  i have already gone way off topic for the list, an=
d i
apologize for the space my rant is using in your mailboxes.

Semper Fi Mr. Hornback.

One Unix to rule them all, =

One Resolver to find them,
One IP to bring them all, and in the zone to bind them.

FreeBSD, The power to serve:  www.freebsd.org