Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:27:42 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        Jim Frost <jimf@frostbytes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.6 rl0 and xl0 watchdog timeout problems (and solution)

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 05:44:50PM -0400, Jim Frost wrote:
[...interesting read, some baiting skipped...]
> Anyway, I fired it up and got "rl0: watchdog timeout" errors.  Shit.
> I've seen those before from waaaay back when SunOS was my favorite
> system, and it meant that the ethernet cable fell out.  The man page for
> the rl driver says that that's probably what it is.  Problem is, the
> cabling checks out: it was showing good connection lights on both ends.
> Just to be sure I pulled known-good cabling from other stuff.  Still no
> go.
>
> I thought maybe the thing was incorrectly sensing the media; I still run
> 10baseT because it's here and it works and I don't see why I should
> spend money on a new hub.  ifconfig said it autoconfigured to
> 10baseT/UTP but just to be sure I forced the config.  Same problem.

  What was sharing the card's IRQ?  When you have devices sharing IRQs,
  it obviously takes longer before the handler gets to run.  The
  watchdog is getting fired off before the handler gets to run.  Was the
  interface working at all?

> Ok, I've used the various UNIXen enough to know that they're often
> sensitive to card firmware versions; maybe the 530TX+ has new firmware
> that screwed it up.  So I picked up a 3c905 card and threw it in.  Same
> problem.
>
> That didn't leave much.  At this point I figured it's an interrupt
> problem of some sort and started looking at the PCI configuration in the
> BIOS.  I remember something about NT et al needing something or other
> disabled to work on new motherboards and figure that maybe the PC vendor
> set that up, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
>
> But while I was in there I noticed that four slots share two interrupt
> configurations: Slots 1 and 3 share one, and slots 2 and 6 share
> another.  Hmm.  The ethercard is in slot 3, one of the shared slots.
>
> On a hunch I move the ethercard to slot 4 and reboot.  Voila, works like
> a champ.

  Sounds good.  You know, it's entirely possible that other operating
  systems silently ignore the watchdog timeouts and you may just think
  that FreeBSD is the problem because it's telling you that maybe you
  should think about changing your setup.

> I'd be interested in an explanation if someone has one, and if nobody
> does then I'd be willing to help track down some details to fix it so
> some other poor schmuck doesn't waste a lot of time tracking it down.
[...]

--
Bosko Milekic * bmilekic@unixdaemons.com * bmilekic@FreeBSD.org