Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 23:14:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        rssh@grad.kiev.ua
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Eek"

According to Ruslan Shevchenko:
> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > http://dd.sh/perlfs/
> IMHO, Linux-ism

IMO: "Maybe, but so what? That's WAY COOOOOL!"
it's not a good idea to scrap all the filesystems and redo them in perl,
or anything... but as an extension it can only bring good.

It IS a rather neat idea... If we could make a similar thing that had the
same API, we could share code with them too. And yes... it's less efficient,
but then again... You don't always care, do you? I mean... if it gets to be
a generic interface (version are written for all BSDs too, etc) then we
might find a lot of obscure filesystems implmented like that... which
might allow us to support reading/write such filsystems to people that
need it, without having to do anything. And these people will be MUCH
happier that they can read/write that file they needed to/from their
obscure filesystem at half the speed then not at all.

I wonder how much work it would be... How do they integrate perl with
the kernel?? That could get ugly :)

*starts diggint for details*

  /Mikael