Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:32:37 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        dmp <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reprocessing locally delivered mail?

dmp <dmp@pantherdragon.org> wrote:
> I have a couple of users who are no longer able to access their
> mailboxes, but have emails waiting for them, and want them forwarded to
> another email address.  I've already set their accounts to forward to
> other addresses, and am now trying to figure out get the contents of
> their spool files to them.  Any ideas how to do this?

You can do it in many ways:

a) Assuming they have a mailer capable of reading Unix mbox files,
   zip the spool file and send it over as an attachment.  Then let
   them handle splitting the mail, etc.

or

b) Use formail/procmail to filter each message through a ~/.procmailrc
   in the HOME of each user.  Use ``su'' to become that user, and put
   in their .procmailrc file:

	:0 *
	! users@news.address

   and fire up formail on the spool file like this:

	% formail -s procmail < /var/mail/user

   This way, formail will split the messages of /var/mail/user and
   filter them one by one through procmail, whose only rule in
   .procmailrc will forward the message to <users@new.address>.

-giorgos