Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 12:09:09 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to add service to log in newsyslog.conf?

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 01:49:08AM +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:

> Its all working fine, but I would like to have newsyslog manage to log
> files generated (define rotation schedule, log-size limitation, etc).
> Could someone please advise me on doing this?

Err... You just add more lines to /etc/newsyslog.conf --- the
newsyslog(1) man page explains the syntax quite clearly.  So, to cycle
the ftpd log every Friday at 5.00pm, and keep the previous 4 old
logfiles compressed with gzip(1) (ie. ftpd.0.gz, ftpd.1.gz, ftpd.2.gz
ftpd.3.gz) add a line:

    /var/log/ftpd                      644  3     *    $W5D17 Z

That's all there is to it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK