Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:07:23 -0500
From:      "Charles Anderson" <caa@columbus.rr.com>
To:        NAKAJI Hiroyuki <nakaji@tutrp.tut.ac.jp>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please test for 8G-OVER-Booting with /boot/loader

I have a Thinkpad 600X here that I installed freebsd on the third partition,
but couldn't boot because of the >1024 cylinder bit, so I booted a Fixit
floppy mounted my freebsd partitions, installed this patch, patched boot1
to always try packet mode and copied it over to the ntfs boot partition and
used it from the NT Loader, and it booted right up, both natively and under
VMware.

I had to do a lot of mucking around to get things to the point where I could
mount slice 3, the FreeBSD partition, and build the new boot code.

-Charlie
On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 02:21:36PM +0900, NAKAJI Hiroyuki wrote:
> How can I test this with FreeBSD which is installed over-8GB area and
> can't boot?
>
> I have a PC on which Solaris7 is installed within 8GB from the start
> of disk and FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE is installed after(?) it.
>
> The installation was successfull. But I can't boot it.
>
> How can I install this patched /boot/loader in this dead system?
> --
> NAKAJI Hiroyuki

Charles Anderson	caa@columbus.rr.com

No quote, no nothin'