Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:33:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.maxbaud.net>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Slooow expires (inn 1.5.1 and 1.7.2.insync1.1d)

Okay, I know this has been discussed before, but I tried to check the ISP
search on www.freebsd.org for the word "expir*" and got nothing.

	I recently upgraded my system from 1.5.1 to 1.7.2.insync1.1d.
The first time expire ran, I finally killed it 18 hours later.  With
1.5.1 I was running an expire in under an hour.  My history file is about
120M in size (nothing compared to some of yours I am sure).  I tried to
re-install 1.5.1, and now its expire is very slow also.  I have not
changed my kernel, or done a make world, but I am seeing dramatically
slower times.

	I seem to remember that someone (Joe Greco maybe) posted a couple
of small patches/tunes for expire or the config.data file which I was
using.  Unfortunately, I had a brain fart and lost whatever they were.  I
seem to remember that the changes involved the flushing of the history
file in dbz (or something similar).

	Can anyone help?
	brian

BTW>  I `ktrace'd it, and it spends a lot of time doing
	stat(somefile)
	error -1 file not found
	unlink(somefile)
	error -1 file not found

	kinda seems like a waste.

He rides a cycle of mighty days, and \ Wm Brian and Lori McCane
represents the last great schizm among\ McCane Consulting
the gods. Evil though he obviously is, \ root@bmccane.cavtech.com
he is a mighty figure, this father of   \ http://bmccane.cavtech.com/
my spirit, and I respect him as the sons \ http://bmccane.cavtech.com/~pictures/
of old did the fathers of their bodies.   \ http://bmccane.cavtech.com/~bmccane/
    Roger Zelazny - "Lord of Light"        \