Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:18:54 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Sheldon Hearn" <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, "Alex Charalabidis" <alex@wnm.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Detecting mail client capabilities

There is a way to extract the e-mail address from a Microsoft browser, if
you search
around on the net you will find a website put up by some guy that
demonstrates the
technique.  Extraction takes place without the user's knowledge, of course.

Only problem is that the method only works on Microsoft browsers, and it
only
retrieves the e-mail address that the user has typed into their Outlook
Express
(Or Outlook) if they are using Eudora or any other mail client then that
e-mail
address can be bogus, of course.  Also I believe that there is a way to
disable
the "feature" if your a MS browser user and you don't wish to get your
e-mail
address extracted without your knowledge.

In my opinion there's serious privacy and ethical issues with obtaining
information
without the consent of the user.  Think long and hard before you implement
something
like this for your employers - would you really like this to be done to you
when
you surf the net?

Frankly, in my opinion, networking types (like most of the folks that read
this
mailing list) have a moral responsibility that is over and above that of
anyone
else to keep the Internet from being abused by those who don't appear to
have
any scruples about invading people's privacy.  The facts are that 99% of the
managers
that are this morally bankrupt are unable to implement privacy-invading
techniques
on their network - so they usually attempt to pay someone like us to do it
for them.
It is not that hard for you or I to implement these sorts of things, and if
we do
then we are helping to bring the day closer when the people revolt and
demand tight
governmental regulation of the Internet to stop this sort of thing.  I know
that I
couldn't look myself in the mirror every morning nor expect my children to
hold me
in any kind of respect if I implemented these sorts of things so I do not.
I hope
you feel the same.