Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:13:37 -0700
From:      Matt Edwards <insane1@geocities.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP PCI modem

"Louis A. Mamakos" wrote:

> > Allright, so I've rebuilt my kernel, it supports my PCI video card, and
> > my ISA COM ports.  How do I make FreeBSK recognize a Plug&Play PCI
> > modem?  In WINNT it set up on COM3 on a high IRQ (10 I think) and I
> > can't make it install anywhere else.
> > Thanx.
>
> First of all, if you have a WinModem (e.g., a modem without a brain that
> relies on the system CPU to do a bunch of work), then you're just screwed
> and you should stop torturing yourself right now.
>
> If you have regular modem, then read on..
>
> I have a Creative Labs Phoneblaster, which you can think of as a SB16 PNP,
> with a voice/fax modem on the same board.   The modem is PNP too.  With
> the board in the system, try running the pnpinfo program to find out
> the relevent information on the board.
>
> You'll see something like:
>
> # pnpinfo
> Checking for Plug-n-Play devices...
>
> Card assigned CSN #1
> Vendor ID CTL3002 (0x02308c0e), Serial Number 0x00005f7c
> PnP Version 1.0, Vendor Version 48
> Device Description: Creative Phone Blaster 28.8/33.6
>
> [stuff deleted in here for the logical devices 0 through 3
> on this card.  Your board will probably have only a single
> logical device]
>
> Logical Device ID: CTL3001 0x01308c0e #4
> Device Description: COM
> TAG Start DF
> Good Configuration
>     IRQ: 3 4 5 7 10 11 15  - only one type (true/edge)
>     I/O Range 0x3e8 .. 0x3e8, alignment 0x1, len 0x8
>         [16-bit addr]
> TAG Start DF
> Acceptable Configuration
>     IRQ: 3 4 5 7 10 11 15  - only one type (true/edge)
>     I/O Range 0x2e8 .. 0x2e8, alignment 0x1, len 0x8
>         [16-bit addr]
> TAG Start DF
> Acceptable Configuration
>     IRQ: 3  - only one type (true/edge)
>     I/O Range 0x2f8 .. 0x2f8, alignment 0x1, len 0x8
>         [16-bit addr]
> TAG Start DF
> Acceptable Configuration
>     IRQ: 4  - only one type (true/edge)
>     I/O Range 0x3f8 .. 0x3f8, alignment 0x1, len 0x8
>         [16-bit addr]
> TAG Start DF
> Sub-optimal Configuration
>     IRQ: 3 4 5 7 10 11 15  - only one type (true/edge)
>     I/O Range 0x2a0 .. 0x2d8, alignment 0x8, len 0x8
>         [16-bit addr]
> TAG End DF
> End Tag
>
> You should choose one of the configurations (with the combinations of
> irq, i/o ports and dma channels (none in this case) that work for you.
>
> Then, make a file, like /kernel.config that looks like this:
>
> pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x280 port1 0x330 port2 0x388 irq0 10 drq0 1 drq1 5
> pnp 1 1 os disable
> pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x320
> pnp 1 3 os enable port0 0x200
> pnp 1 4 os enable port0 0x2e8 irq0 7
>
> You can ignore the first 4 lines in my example because the refer to the
> [...]

No such luck, thanks anyway.  I guess I forgot to tell you in the first
message, its a Creative Labs Modem Blaster Flash56 (actually
manufactured by a
subsidary called DSI) PCI, PnP.  I ran pnpinfo and all it came up with
was my
Creative Labs Vibra16 (Sound Blaster) so I guess I got stuck with a
'winmodem'
Thanx again.