Date:      Wed, 19 May 2021 20:02:31 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Python 37/38 conflict, was Re: Trubles compiling lxqt on RPi4

On 2021-May-19, at 14:17, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2021-May-19, at 10:29, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>=20
>> bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net wrote on
>> Wed May 19 16:09:32 UTC 2021 :
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> [portmaster background omitted]=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> I tried ports-mgmt/portmaster, it got stuck the same as make.
>>> Unless the new version behaves very differently I'm doubtful it'll
>>> help.
>>>=20
>>> At the moment it looks like lxqt requires both python37 and =
python38.
>>> The needs seem to arise at different stages of the build, so perhaps
>>> they can be invoked, used and removed sequentially, but at this =
point
>>> deleting python37 causes enough collateral damage to make further
>>> progress impossible, or at least non-obvious.=20
>>>=20
>>> If the conflict is really limited to merely naming two versions of=20=

>>> /usr/local/bin/easy_install fixing the naming convention seems to be=20=

>>> the obvious answer. I remain baffled why something called =
"easy_install"=20
>>> remains essential after installatiion.  Unless of course it's not =
really=20
>>> an installer. Even so, a more sensible naming scheme strikes me as =
helpful.
>>>=20
>>> It isn't apparent to me that something like poudriere can solve this =
sort
>>> of problem either. If poudriere attempts to build lxqt in a single =
jail
>>> it looks like the conflict will emerge within the jail.
>>=20
>> The FreeBSD port building servers use poudriere and are not having
>> a problem. The problem is your messed up environment that already
>> has the inappropriate mixed that poudriere and the package installers
>> it makes would never produce.
>>=20
>> The following show lxqt (10 ports have that in their names) as
>> attempted to be built (not skipped) and all were successful
>> instead of any failing:
>=20
> It may not be obvious that I looked up builds on
> ampere2.nyi.freebsd.org because that is the builder for
> targeting arrch64 main [so: 14] builds. That is why the
> url's below have: "mastername=3Dmain-arm64-default".
> Thus the evidence includes aarch64 coverage.
>=20
>> Built with python37:
>> Apr 20:
>> =
http://ampere2.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=3Dmain-arm64-default&=
build=3Dp338d8ba0f777_s5a89498d19
>> Apr 13:
>> =
http://ampere2.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=3Dmain-arm64-default&=
build=3Dp46fc7df8540c_s1f64f32a4c
>> Apr 17:
>> =
http://ampere2.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=3Dmain-arm64-default&=
build=3Dp9d5f4ef1a469_s86046cf55f
>>=20
>> Built with python38:
>> May 11:
>> =
http://ampere2.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=3Dmain-arm64-default&=
build=3Dp0c0a4f4b9148_scb07628d9e
>> May 15:
>> =
http://ampere2.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=3Dmain-arm64-default&=
build=3Dp6ffbcd54bf8c_s91f251b2ab
>> May 18:
>> =
http://ampere2.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=3Dmain-arm64-default&=
build=3Dp7bfc2c072607_s8d2b4b2e7c
>> May 6:
>> =
http://ampere2.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=3Dmain-arm64-default&=
build=3Dpcd62f0886c18_sd1cb8d11b0
> [...]
>> # pkg install `cat file-listing-packages`
>>=20
>> Technically, I do not know if your environment is so
>> messed up that pkg delete -a would fail.
>>=20
>> I'll note that if pkg instead still points to the
>> FreeBSD servers (such as quarterly), the same 2
>> command sequence should re-establish those builds.
>>=20
>=20
> I started a:
>=20
> # poudriere bulk -j13_0R-CA72 x11-wm/lxqt
>=20
> on one of the aarch64 systems that I have access to
> (cortex-a72 with 4 cores). It reports (based on prior
> history of other ports building that might overlap and
> so avoid some things needing to be built this time):
>=20
> . . .
> [00:00:25] Building 99 packages using 4 builders
> . . .
> [00:00:38] [03] [00:00:00] Building lang/rust | rust-1.52.1
> . . .
>=20
> so it looks like it will be hours from when I started
> it before it will have finished, presuming that rust
> builds to completion. (Rust takes longer and uses more
> disk space and the like to build than any llvm* that
> I normally build.)
>=20
> I expect to later report that it built to completion, no
> failure, so long as nothing else causes lxqt ports to
> be skipped. But we will see if my context gets the same
> results as the FreeBSD build server(s).
>=20
> If it builds, I'll see if pkg can install it.
>=20
> poudriere jail 13_0R-CA72 is based on a releng/13
> release/13.0.0 installworld, instead of being based
> on a main [so: 14] one. This should not matter for
> the issues at hand. Technically, I could reboot into
> main [so: 14] (so that kernel is running) and build
> in jail main-CA72 that has an installation of main
> --but I do not think it would provide significantly
> different information.
>=20
> The system is faster than an RPi4B, despite the
> configurations using the same Cortex-A72 count
> and clock rate. It has more RAM (16 GiByte) and
> more RAM caching, and a RAM subsystem that is
> faster overall for parallel activities (more than
> size can matter for caching effectiveness for
> parallel activities).
>=20
> (The used system's single DIMM DDR4 RAM+RAM
> caching was less effective for parallel jobs than
> the OverDrive 1000's smaller but dual-DIMM RAM
> subsystem [8 GiByte] and larger RAM-caches, despite
> the OverDrive having 4 Cortex-A57s and a slower CPU
> clock rate. Unfortunately, the OverDrive 1000
> failed recently or I would have used it to cut
> the time some. The used system is the faster one
> for activities that are close to single threaded.)

. . .
[13_0R-CA72-default] [2021-05-19_10h44m58s] [committing:] Queued: 99 =
Built: 99 Failed: 0  Skipped: 0  Ignored: 0  Tobuild: 0   Time: 08:30:14
. . .

# pkg install x11-wm/lxqt
Updating custom repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01   =20
Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%  140 KiB 143.5kB/s    00:01   =20
Processing entries: 100%
custom repository update completed. 612 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The following 74 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
. . .

. . .
[1/74] Installing qt5-linguisttools-5.15.2...
[1/74] Extracting qt5-linguisttools-5.15.2: 100%
. . .
[74/74] Installing lxqt-0.17.0...
[74/74] Extracting lxqt-0.17.0: 100%

So: It worked fine.

(The system has no video hardware present, so lxqt is
untested but installed at this point.)

FYI: at one point just lang/rust was using about 17634
MiBytes of temporary storage space. That lang/rust
requires such an amount of storage space to build is
not specific to poudriere builds.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com