Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2019 14:40:05 +0100
From:      Marek Zarychta <zarychtam@plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12 and Nocona

--7QNOi5JD8n3r5Jt3gG055VKjvQ5gJ2uQS
From: Marek Zarychta <zarychtam@plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
To: Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Cc: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

--7oB9nYUuY2olTVgSIgCh6g6MtF5f1G6Au

W dniu 03.01.2019 o=C2=A014:13, Stefan Bethke pisze:
>> I have under supervision a few old servers running 11.2-STABLE. The
>> hardware is almost for retirement, but still in working condition. It'=
>> all old Nocona NetBurst microarchitecture. I have recently tried do
>> upgrade OS two of them to 12.0-STABLE, but failed. When I use old
>> bootloader the boot freezes on blue highlighted "Booting" stage, when =
>> tried to use 12 loader, it freezes earlier, on loading kernel modules.=

>> The kernel was compiled from fresh sources for CPUTYPE?=3Dnocona.
>> 11.2-STABLE is fine with this optimization and the same kernel boots
>> fine on newer hardware.
>>
>> It is fair, that 11 EOL is expected September 30, 2021 and these serve=
rs
>> will likely be retired before this date, but some questions arise:
>>
>> Is such old hardware still supported? Is it possible (how to) debug th=
>> booting process?
> The first step is to try with known-good bits: can you boot these machi=
nes off the 12.0 ISO or memstick images? Can you load your kernel and mod=
ules with the loader from the ISO/memstick? Does GENERIC built without an=
y flags work?

> If any of these don=E2=80=99t work, try to be as specific as possible w=
hen reporting problems. For example, the exact make of mainboard (kenv ou=
tput) and the BIOS version, and any relevant BIOS settings are likely imp=
ortant for problems regarding the loader. If the kernel and modules load,=
 you can try a verbose boot to see better how far the kernel gets.

> I=E2=80=99d be really surprised if the CPUs themselves would cause trou=
ble.

Thank you for the informative reply. I will try to boot from official
CD, but have limited access and servers are still working under FreeBSD
11.2-STABLE #2 r342669

--=20
Marek Zarychta