Date:               Sun, 13 Aug 1995 12:05:37 -0800
From:      "Jim Howard" <jiho@sierra.net>
To:        Faried Nawaz <fn@pain.csrv.uidaho.edu>, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:         Re: gnumalloc

> how did you compile things in /bin and /sbin with shared libraries?  is
> your /usr/lib in the same partition as / ?  or did you do something with
> ldconfig and ld.so?  i'm curious because i've never tried it, but wanted
> to...

Gee, clever me, it just sank in on me what the point about partitions
was.  I installed everything on one partation, because I've only got
one drive, and that made sense to me.  If the /usr tree were on a
separate partition you'd have an impossible time, because init (and
several other programs) are running well before a separate /usr
partition gets mounted!  It's an issue I never faced.

I suppose servers ALWAYS have /usr on a separate partition, which
makes another reason (in addition to performance) why shared
libraries for /bin and /sbin MIGHT not be a good idea for servers.

This is yet another example of how in the U*IX world, the desktop
user's logic isn't always compatible with the site administrator's
logic.