Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:43:58 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.berkeley.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Moore, Robert" <robert.moore@intel.com>, "'Mitsuru IWASAKI'" <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>, yb@sainte-barbe.org, acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Grover, Andrew" <andrew.grover@intel.com>
Subject:   Re: [acpi-jp 1735] Re: Call for testers: acpica-unix-20020815

Thus spake Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>:
> > Sometimes.  But see http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/DWIM.html
>
> I understand, but having a different failure is no worse than
> having a failure, I think.  In either case, it doesn't work,
> even if it doesn't work in an entirely different way.

'delete *' is a *whole lot* worse than `delete: File not found'.
(You get the latter either way, actually. :-) There's always a
danger in having too much magic.  It's okay when the magic does
something right part of the time and fizzles out the rest of the
time.  But when it does something terribly wrong, you have to
question the tradeoff.