Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:58:22 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Morgan <mikemorgan@hfnweb.com>
Subject:   Re: slow opengl response

Hello,

You may have a look at the glx port (in the pors tree) and also at www.freebsd.org/~3d

I have recompiled this week-end X11 3.3.6 and Mesa3.0 to get a native glx support (from the glx port). That was on a 4.0 machine (bi-celeron).

I had some questions because the port skeleton grabbed from www.freebsd.org/~3d seems not to correctly set up a TCLSH variable and also did not built TCL8 as a dependency (easily patched by hand)

I've got now a hardware-accelerated OpenGL (but still not very fast, even on y fast machine - but I have still to investigate the case)

     TfH

 To:      Mike Morgan <mikemorgan@hfnweb.com>

 cc:      "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'"
          <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>(bcc: Thierry
          HERBELOT/FR/ALCATEL)

if you have already installed XFree with the nvidia driver + glx it's not
normal, check the library in /usr/X11R6/lib they are proably symboly
linked to the software opengl (Mesa).

if not.

I'm not sure for your board but the winfast geforce DDR was not
recognized by XFree 3.3.6 so I had to rebuild XFree from the source
with the new nvidia driver (works fine in 2D)

check nvidia web site http://www.nvidia.com

they have the latest drivers with source code for XFree and the part
for glx (I'm trying to compile glx for FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE)

I've dowloaded all the parts but not rebuilded everything.
(probably next week end)