Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:30:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Pete <pete-freebsd-hackers@toscano.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3 IDE devices on Promise card + FreeBSD == not possible?

It seems Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Pete <pete-freebsd-hackers@toscano.org> writes:
> >> atacontrol create mirror ad6 ad7
> > This is starting to _really_ confuse me. Does FreeBSD have two software
> > RAID systems?
>
> Yes (vinum and raidframe)

And ccd :)

> >                Is there something built into the ATA controller drivers
> > that can do software RAID too?  It looks that way from that atacontrol
> > and ata man pages.
>
> No, but atacontrol knows how to configure hardware RAID controllers
> such as your Promise FastTrack.

No, thats not the case, the ATA driver has a built in RAID engine
to use with Promise and HighPoint controllers. The reason it is
like this is that it is nessesary to read the RAID config off the
disks in a vendor specific way, and neither of cdd/vinum could do
this when its was done.
ATA RAID's like the Promise Fasttrak are *not* HW RAID's its a
SW RAID engine in the BIOS on those cards. However that is only
used for booting from the RAID, and then the ATA driver picks up
the array config and uses that with its internal SW RAID engine.
Atacontrol just sees a generic ATA RAID interface, and the ATA
driver then knows how to r/w the config for a specific controller.

-Søren