Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:35:13 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Eric Jacoboni" <jaco@teaser.fr>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Duplicating Audio CDs

I have heard that the ATAPI standard for CDROM's basically is the
SCSI standard - the ATAPI developers stole most of the SCSI commands
from SCSI-2 and put it on ATAPI.  I would suspect that an emulation layer
would not be tremendously difficult to write - for at least a basic
CDROM.  Of course the devil is in the details and it would rapidly get
more complicated as more and more oddball devices were supported.

>I'm very happy with burncd, but i think it's a pity to not be able to
>use such a well known program as cdrecord with FreeBSD as it's
>possible with other OS, that's all: i'm not a FreeBSD developer so i
>have to respect the team choice. I don't know if cdrecord with

The FreeBSD core team has not made any kind of a decision to DENY
an emulation layer that I have heard of.  If someone wants to write one
I would guess that they would include it.

>SCSI-emulation under Linux is better or not than burncd under FreeBSD
>but i never heard complains about that.

Then it seems that the task before you is clear - write such an emulation
layer.  We would all be happy to see it.

I myself thought about writing an emulation layer for about 20 microseconds
once.  I decided that my time was worth enough that I could spend the extra
$100 bucks on a SCSI burner, rather than the 200 hours or so it would take
me to do a project like this.  Also, by spending the $100 bucks I was
guarenteed
to have a solution that worked - whereas if I attempted to write one then
I had no guarentee that I could ever produce a working piece of code.

I think that everybody else have made the same decision in FreeBSD which is
why there is no emulation layer.  Apparently, over in the Linux camp, there
is a developer who actually could produce a working emulation layer that
didn't come to the same cost-benefit conclusion that we did over here.  This
just goes to show that no matter how unprofitable an idea is, there is
always someone who will do it.  Too bad that guy doesen't work on FreeBSD.