Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 05:20:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   arplookup failed (for hosts on same ethernet)

Hi,

We recently added a connection to a second internet provider. They
assigned us a couple class Cs for our network. I've left the majority of
machines on IPs of our first connection (207.218.152.0/24), however I've
added some new machines to the network which use the IPs of the second
connection (206.170.14.0/24). All of these machines are on the same
ethernet connection.

The problem: Several (but not all) of my FreeBSD systems report:

arplookup 206.170.14.50 failed: host is not on local network
arplookup 206.170.14.50 failed: host is not on local network
arplookup 206.170.14.50 failed: host is not on local network

My FreeBSD boxes and the 206.170.14.51 (linux) box are both on the same
ethernet network. They can both communicate with each on via tcp (but not
via icmp, due to icmp filtering by ipfw on my freebsd boxes).

So, this isn't actually causing a problem -- but I hate seeing symptoms of
possible problems around and like to fix them. If it can't be fixed, it'd
be nice to at least make it stop reporting that.

So, any ideas or fixes? Thanks,

---
Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
http://www.lumiere.net/