Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 19:33:25 -0600
From:      "Greg Brooks" <gbrooks@janemobley.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Big-picture question about virtual domain hosting (web/mail)

(resending because of troubles on my end... my apologies if you get it
twice)

Folks, I'm in need of some big-picture advice re: running several
virtual domains for web and mail services using FreeBSD.

I'm currently running a qmail/FreeBSD "mail toaster" based on the
excellent instructions at
http://matt.simerson.net/computing/mail/toaster/. All is nearly -- but
not entirely -- well with my configuration, and it's been such a long
road to get things even to this point of stability that I am now
second-guessing myself.

If I were starting from scratch (and, to a great degree, I am -- the
current config has only been up for a two weeks or so), what would you
recommend from among the following options:

* Stick with the qmail/vpopmail/qmailadmin/sqwebmail combo, but hash out
the bugs. (Note that at this point the (small) bugs seem to be intrinsic
to the way some of the software is written, and my next move would
likely be to engage Inter7 [developers of qmailadmin] on a paid basis
for a fix.)

* Start over, moving to Sendmail and ... and what? (Looking for
recommendations here). Ease of use for someone who's getting his feet
wet in the Unix world is a consideration here. I have all the legal
Exchange and Windows Server licenses I need if I get really
discouraged... but I am sooooo looking for a way to avoid that route.

* Another way? (Open to suggestions... whatever I implement has to
support virtual web/mail domains, has to support web-based access to
mail, and also has to support listserver software).

* Related issue: I use iManager (web-based control panel and virtual
domain software) on FreeBSD all the time at my employer's shop because
Verio (our mail/web host) uses it on their FreeBSD machines. In looking
through every iManager file (and yes, I downloaded everything as near as
I can tell), I can find nothing that says the software is GPL or any
other open-source license variant, yet I can also find no copyright
notices. Only one contact is listed (Rus Berrett), and he hasn't
answered an e-mail inquiry about the software. Anyone have any
experience using this and/or does anyone know if it's available for use
outside of verio?

Many thanks in advance -- Happy Easter to all who celebrate it, and a
happy Sunday to everyone else.

Regards,
Greg