Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 01:06:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Overclocking Celeron 300A

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Greg Pavelcak wrote:

> I'm aware of the warnings against overclocking, and this isn't
> intended as a troll, however:
>
> 1. tomsharware & anandtech indicate that overclocking the Celeron
> 300A to 450 is pretty reliably doable.
>
> 2. At that speed, the Celeron performance stacks up pretty well
> against a full-fledged PII (At least in WinStone and Quake).
>
> 3. The Celeron costs about $70 PII450 $470
>
> Even with a shortened lifespan and potential reliability
> problems, it seems to me, based on this, that buying a Celeron
> and overclocking it may be a perfectly rational thing to do.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone here is doing that. If so how's it
> working? Got a "worldstone"? Or am I missing something that makes
> this a really stupid idea.
>
> (By the way, I'm not talking about a production machine, just my
> home PC.)

You have to get a celeron/xxxA.  The 'A' model is the chipspeed cache,
which is why a 300A overclocked to 450 is faster than a straight P2/450.
So long as you make sure they stay cool, overclocked chips should give you
good reliability and performance.

Jamie Bowden

--

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)