Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:48:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      y3k@gti.net
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is root's search path special?

On 16-Nov-2001 Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Myprogram was an example, but the real-world case where I found this was with
> the text editor joe, which is an executable file.  It's in /usr/local/bin,
> and
> /usr/local/bin is in my path, even under root, and yet the shell can't seem
> find it when I am logged in as root, but it finds it when I'm logged in as a
> normal user.  All the environment variables look pretty much the same, so I
> was
> thinking that there must be something weird about root, but I didn't know
> where
> to look to find out for sure.

After installing a program, if you're running tcsh, you have to run 'rehash' to
search your path for executables. Or you can log out and back in or something.
If you installed the program as root, tried to run it and it didnt work, then
logged in as a regular user and tried to run it and it worked, that might
explain it.

-mark