Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 17:01:14 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Graham Guttocks <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help disabling write caching upon bootup

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 11:51:04 +1300, Graham Guttocks wrote:
> On my 4.1.1-RELEASE system, I was having problems with the system
> locking up when my seagate scsi drives underwent heavy I/O.  After
> searching through this list, I decided to try disabling write caching
> on the drives, and it worked like a charm.
>
> The command "camcontrol modepage -v -n da -u 0 -m 0x8 -e" brings me
> into an editor where I can edit the WCE variable and turn it off.
>
> However, each time I reboot the system, I have to repeat this.  Is
> there
> an easy way to handle this automatically every time the system boots?

You probably need to add "-P 3" to the command line options above, to make
sure you're editing the saved parameters and not just the current mode page
parameters.

If your drive doesn't like to save the parameter for some reason, you can
automate it like this:

echo "WCE: 0" | camcontrol modepage da0 -P 3 -m 8 -e

The above (accepting parameters from standard input) is only possible in
4.1.1 and later releases.  (Thanks to Kelly Yancey.)

Even though disabling write caching fixes the problem, you may want to talk
to Seagate about getting updated firmware for your drives.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org