Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 15:01:22 +0200
From:      "David Beck" <dbeck@freesoft.hu>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   pthreads and semctl problem

Hi All,

This is the first time I post to this list.
Big hello to everyone :)

I started to port an application from DEC Unix to FreeBSD and
an unexpected problem cropped out. The app runs on 3 threads
and uses system V semaphores for synchronizing access to a
shared memory block between unrelated processes. (It
communicates with unrelated processes using that shared
memory block.) There are a couple of other reasons for why
I couldn't use pthread mutexes in this case.

The problem is I found that when I block one thread with the
semop call, all the other threads will be blocked. Why ? Is it
a problem in the C library or the kernel ?

I compiled the program with the -pthread flag. Maybe I missed
some other flags or switches ?

The same code works under DEC and Linux :(

Any ideas ?

Cheers, David.