Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:45:25 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, "Eric L. Anderson" <anderson@more.net>
Subject:   Re: Max NFS mounts for a FreeBSD client?

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:07:37 +0100 (BST)
Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Eric L. Anderson wrote:
>
> > What is the limit of NFS mounts a FreeBSD server can make and how do you
> > modify this limit?
> >
> > The only reference I could find to this question on the FreeBSD lists is
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-July/051947.html
> >
> > I have ran a similar test and the same thing happens after 420 NFS mounts.
> > This is on both FreeBSD 6.0 and 6.2.
> >
> > We have recently run into a problem where we are bumping up against some
> > kind of limit to the number of NFS mounts on our FreeBSD servers.
>
> Sounds a bit like something is running out of reserved ports to use -- the
> credentials error may mean that a port number >1023 was used for an NFS
> connection.  Given that reserved ports start around 600, 420 is about the
> right number of sockets to reach 1024.

Hi,
Reserved ports controlled by sysctl :

net.inet.ip.portrange.reservedhigh: 1023
net.inet.ip.portrange.reservedlow: 0

although the 600 rwatson mentions seems to be this one:

net.inet.ip.portrange.lowfirst: 1023
net.inet.ip.portrange.lowlast: 600

You should be able to tweak these values - as long as you have ephemeral ports for the rest of your network activity, you should be ok, right?
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else does and thinking something different."
  Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, 1937 Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine