Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 20:23:27 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        efb@cotdazr.org
Cc:        danny@hilink.com.au, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP.3000.exposure

> Regretably my bigger problem is using BIND_8.1.2 cause last time I tried
> to build found from others that there are really a lot of diffs between
> the Unix release and the FreeBSD post makefile mortum .. lots of patching
> to compile unix code on fbsd .. bummer .. my bind is easy to put to
> sleep by a hacker attack ..

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're talking about. Bind 8.1.2
builds "out of the box" (make clean; make depend; make) on FreeBSD 2.2.x,
and needs one small patch for FreeBSD 3.x (documented on the ISC errata
page, http://www.isc.org/bind8/errata/8.1.2/patches/).

Note that there are big differences between:

- Installing only named/named-xfer
- Installing everything, including include files, shared libraries etc.

In order to use BIND 8.1.2, you only need named/named-xfer.

I run 8.1.2 on several FreeBSD boxes with zero problems.