Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:53:39 -0400
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot install FreeBSD-current 9/10 and 9/17 from floppies

Hi,

I bought a second machine to install FreeBSD-current, so that
I can learn how to do kernel debugging via a serial cable.
I cannot install FreeBSD-current on this machine.
The machine is an IBM PIII-450

Here is what I did:

(1) Obtained kern.flp and mfsroot.flp floppy images from the
    9/17 and 9/10 snapshots of FreeBSD-current.
    I obtained these from ftp://current.freebsd.org/

(2) After booting from the first floppy (kern.flp), I insert
    mfsroot.flp.

The install hangs at:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c
md0c: raw partition size != slice size
md0c: start 0, end 5087, size 5088
md0c: truncating raw partition
md0c: rejecting partition in BSD label: it isn't entirely within the slice
md0c: start 0, end 5087, size 5088
md0ca: start 0, end 8639, size 8640
spec_getpages: (md0c) I/O read failure:
       (error=22) bp 0x2031dc vp 0xc0e39000 size: 4096 resid: 4096,
       a_count: 4096
       valid: 0x0 nread: 0, reqpage: 0, pindex: 575, pcount: 1

Any ideas what the cause of this is?  I tried disabling things like
PNP in the BIOS, but that didn't fix anything.  I had the same problems
with the 9/17 and 9/10 floppy images.
--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr