Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:24:20 -0500
From:      rjk@sparcmill.grauel.com (Richard J Kuhns)
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

Terry Lambert writes:
 > >  > This is all really nasty, there's no compelling reason for tcl to be
 > >  > brought into the main tree,
 > >
 > > tcl is on every system I administer; I use it extensively.  Linked with the
 > > appropriate libraries, it can greatly speed the development of tools using
 > > those libraries.  IMHO, bringing tcl into the main tree would encourage the
 > > growth and development of FreeBSD.
 >
 > I have to say that the issue is real, but I also do not agree with the
 > need for TCL.
 >
 > TCL uses a tool encapsulation model, requiring TCL changes to match
 > corresponding tool changes when they occur to the embedded tool.  This
 > is grossly inefficient and unmodular.

Either I'm having trouble parsing this paragraph, or you're thinking about
using tcl differently than I am.

Assume a library that provides a low-level service -- libdisk.a, for
example.  For the tcl interface, I'd write some C code that defines a tcl
object (maybe called a `Disk') that responds to some more-or-less generic
set of messages ("format", "describe_boot_block", etc).  A properly
designed (buzz-word alert!) object-oriented interface would present a
consistent view of the higher-level Disk tool to any tcl code, insulating
the tcl code from changes to the lower-level libdisk tool.

 >  I believe "throw away code" should not be encouraged in
 > the source tree.

I fully agree; just don't throw out the baby (easier/faster development)
with the bathwater.
--
Rich Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (317)477-6000 x319