Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 13:28:49 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error on xl0

On 2001-11-22 14:26:58, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> I've copied the configuration to my own configuration file, so that's not a
> problem, presumably.  The thing is, now I've changed one of the source files to
> redefine an internal parameter ... so how do I keep that change to that
> particular source file (/sys/pci/if_xlreg.h), and also make sure that it doesn't
> interfere with the standard source?

What internal parameter?  Perhaps it can be tuned without manually
changing the sources every time you update.  If it is not tunable
and you think that it would be helpful if it was, then you could
probably ask that it is made configurable without a kernel rebuild, by
submitting a problem report.

But all this is probably wrong, since you did not mention what your
local changes were :)

I keep a few local changes to my kernel in my tree, and I manually
apply those after I update my sources, but you will probably hate the
manual merging and testing of local changes.

-giorgos