Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:27:03 -0500
From:      "Wills, Ken" <kwills@gflesch.com>
To:        Michael Grommet <mgrommet@isiar.net>, "'CKimmerl@SARCOM.COM'" <CKimmerl@SARCOM.COM>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: "easy installation"!!!!! yeah right

I agree with this completly. You (CKimmer) will not receive any
assistance mailing flames to the list. This is a volunteer project,
it's nobody's problem but your own if you don't understand what you
are trying to do. A simple admission of "I have no idea what
I am trying to do..", would have pointed you to the FAQ and
handbook ( http://www.freebsd.org/faq http://www.freebsd.org/handbook ).

If you think it is supposed to be easy, then you have made a mistake
before you even started. I thought it was easy, the first time I installed,
but I certainly went into the process with my eyes open and with no
preconceptions
of what I was about to experience. It's certainly no more difficult to set
up
than linux, and the installer makes quite a bit more sense in some places.
Again check the handbook and faq before attempting to repeat.

> It is so geared
> towards unix experienced geeks that a person unfamiliar with
> Unix is totally
> lost.  Microsoftcopy sucks but they've got no competition
> from unix yet.  No
> one can understand it and unix people can't make it understandable.  I

I was completely new to unix when I installed it. It went fine for me.
I am not a 'super-geek' (beep).

> picked stuff from the menu, but the interface sucked so bad I
> wasn't sure
> what I had installed.  I was so pissed that I erased it.  I
> chose FreeBSD
> over Linux because it is supposed to be more stable, but only
> a hacker geek

Again, not true :). The interface does exactly what it
is designed to do --> faq and handbook before you start.

> can install this OS.  I'll try Linux, maybe it will be more easily
> understood.  Greg Lehay's book was useless- it was so far up
> in geek land it
> was amazing.  Of course, what can you expect from a guy who speaks 3
> languages and went to school for chemistry, etc.  He can't
> write beginner
> books, that's for sure.  Throughout the entire installation I

'Beginner Books'? The book guides you through the whole installation
process as I recall. Do you want him to come to your house and do it
for you?

> found myself
> wondering how anybody figures this shit out.  I'd appreciate
> any "PRACTICAL"
> help as I do not want to give up on FreeBSD.

Everybody 'figures it out', in the same way the get through what they
can by themselves, read the faq and handbook and look in the mailing
list archieves for similar problems. This is unix you know, so you are
expected somewhat resourceful :)

Others do what you have done, flame the list with gibberish, before
looking at the available help resources. If you stick with freebsd and
'figure it out', you will look back and be embarrassed by that message...

Ken