Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:45:50 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        "Rob G. Smith" <virtus_nasa_gov@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: legal

On 1/20/01, 4:39:03 PM, "Rob G. Smith" <virtus_nasa_gov@hotmail.com>
wrote regarding legal:

> Is it legal to sell (copies of)freeBSD on my site?

<disclaimer>
I am not a lawyer.
</disclaimer>

<general remark>
My current understanding, based on what I have been reading on these
lists as well as on a look at the BSD licence, is that you can charge
for your production/delivery/whatsoever costs as much as you deem
appropriate; however, you can charge NO SINGLE $ for the licence as
such and, needless to say, you can make NO claim to that licence.

If you create original derivative work based on FreeBSD code, the BSD
licence lets you decide what to do: whether to "give it away",
or charge for it and suchlike (in a commercial-style licence).
</general remark>

As to your specific case (www "delivery"), the question sounds
curious. You could theoretically charge for your ahem "delivery
services", but nowadays, with most (if not all) sites offering FreeBSD
free of charge, I am afraid this kind of operation would do you more
harm than good.

On the other hand, if you do provide **technical support**, you are
perfectly -- and morally -- entitled to charge for it  (N.B. for the
technical support).

Incidentally, there ARE such societies (cf the freebsd website itself)
and, IMVHO, they are more than welcome :-)

If any of the above statement is incorrect, I will be scolded and
spanked in no time :-))

Best regards,
Salvo