Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 14:31:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help setting up user ppp and dial-on demand

First of all, sorry for sending this to three lists, but I got no
response the first time to just questions.  Please delete all but the
appropriate list, or just reply directly to me.

Basically, I have a small lan in my house, and I'm converting from Linux
over to FreeBSD (2.1R).  I have a static IP address from my provider, and
wanted to set up on-demand PPP so my wife can get on the net any time
without having to start anything herself.

The problem seems to be that the system insists on having the PPP link up
before it will allow any traffic.  Even "telnet 127.0.0.1" blocks until
the PPP link is established.

My first attempt followed the examples in the /etc/ppp directory.  This
resulted in the behavior above.  After trying with no success to tweek
that configuration (the closest I got was that it would work normally
until the first time it connected), I went by the configuration in the
handbook.

After tweeking the second configuration for a while I got to the point
where no traffic was blocking, but it would bring up the link for no
apparent reason.  So, I started blocking services for dialing, and when I
blocked everything I thought could be happening, it still dialed.  So I
blocked everything, and it still dialed.  I suspect my filters aren't set
up properly :-)

Anyway, is anyone successfully using dial-on-demand PPP on a machine also
attached to a local network?