Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, =?UTF-8?B?RGFnLUVybGluZyBTbcO4cmdyYXY=?= <des@des.no>
Subject:   Re: It's 2008.  1 TB disk drives cost $160.  Quotas are 32-bit.

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> However, quota support is not in the core feature set of most
> developers, or dare I say most users.
>
> Likewise, you may be surprised to hear what kind of "peripheral"
> features other users and developers consider to be "core".  For me, ZFS
> has become a core feature, even though to you it's merely a "shiny
> bauble".  I am sure we can point to most systems in FreeBSD and find a
> user somewhere who considers it to be an indispensible, "core feature".

That point is well taken.  However, regardless of the adoption rate, I
_do_ believe that there is still a qualitative difference between quotas
and, for instance, ZFS - in terms of "coreness".

I believe this because of the historical presence of this functionality
and the reasonable expectation that it represents a basic function of a
unix-based OS (not just FreeBSD).

This may change.  It may, as you say, be changing as we speak.  That is
why I regret not speaking up years ago when the bigdisk "progress" page
was still only a minor embarrassment.

That is also why I have offered funds for the work.