Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 1995 17:45:34 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with 2.0.5 950622 SNAP

How do,

My soon to be FreeBSD box is as follows: 100Mhz Pentium, 16Mb RAM, 1Gb
SCSI HD (Adaptec AHA-2940 card, it's PCI).

The disk is currently partitioned with the first 150Mb for DOS, and the
rest (hopefully) for FreeBSD. There are no other disk controllers in the
machine.

Under DOS it all works fine. I've created c:\freebsd, and put the \bin
and \floppies directories in there (in seperate directories, obviously).

However, there are problems with FreeBSD.

SYMPTOMS
  My boot floppy works fine. I can partition and label the disk, select
  the distribution I want to load and specify the distribution media no
  problem.

  However, when I commit the installation, one of two things can happen.

  1. The machine almost immediately reboots. If I then go back to the
  partition/labeller, I see my partitions and labels are still intact,
  but the mountpoints have disappeared. If I re-allocate the mountpoints
  and re-commit then...

  2. It starts unpacking the distribution. However, (with debugging
  messages turned on) we get to piece 31 of the 59 or so binary
  distribution bundles and then abort with the message that /mnt/usr is
  full. A quick "df -k" over on Alt-F4 (the 'holographic' shell(!))
  shows that /mnt/usr is 104% full, consisting of 20,000 1K disk blocks.
  This despite allocating over 700Mb to /usr in the label.

  At this point the installation falls over.

BIOS
  Anticipating that this might be causing problems, I've investigated
  the options. At the moment, the BIOS is configured for a SCSI disk,
  (although these problems remain if I tell the machine's BIOS that there
  is no disk attached (and hence no geometry), and let the controller BIOS
  handle it) and the controller has Host Adapter BIOS turned *ON*. If I
  turn this option off then the BIOS refuses to see the disk at boot time.
  Since this is my only boot disk it's kinda critical to have it on...

  ... however, I have turned "Extended BIOS translation for DOS Drives >
  1GB" off. As far as I know, this should remove any problems,
  particularly since the DOS partition is completely below the 1Gb
  limit.

  When I get to the partition screen, I'm told that my BIOS geometry is
  1010 cyls, 64 heads and 32 sectors. Quoting from the FreeBSD handbook
  (http://freefall.cdrom.com/How/handbook/handbook-62.html) I see that

   "As you might already know, the FreeBSD kernel reports the geometry
	of SCSI disks when booting."

  I wish it did. On booting my system I just get told that it's a 1010Mb
  drive with 512byte sectors (I think). Nothing that looks vaguely like
  a BIOS geometry is reported.

KERNEL
  I'd love to include a dmesg output from bootup, but the system is
  unable to link the kernel into the correct place, so the chrooted
  holographic shell can't pick it up.

  I'm not booting the kernel with any -c parameters to disable devices
  (although, after reading the mailing list archives I've tried disabling
  lpt0, ie0, mcd0, mcd1 and wt0, which had no effect).

THINGS I'VE TRIED
  Just about every BIOS setting I can think of (it's an AMI BIOS BTW).
  I've turned drive translation on and off. I've told the controller not
  to enable the host adapter BIOS (which then means it can't boot). I've
  alternately told the BIOS that there's a SCSI drive attached and that
  there's no drive attached. All to no avail. I've tried labelling
  partitions of different sizes (and different numbers of partitions).

  Net result: 0.

  I even tried booting from a 2.0R boot floppy I've got lying around. No
  joy.

I'm off to play Descent for an hour or so to get my brain away from this
problem (total time spent battling so far, 6 hours). If any of you out
there have got any clue how to fix, please, please enlighten me.

PS: Other than this small problem, I really like the look of the new
install process.
=-[Opinion, n: See the above text for an example]=-=[Kibo #: e]-[RYRYRY]=-=
=-[The Silly Sod Society: To perfect and to swerve]=-[beable]-=[TP U BG]=-=
There's no future in time travel.