Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:31:59 +0100
From:      Mateusz Viste <mateusz@viste-family.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ALIX nanobsd boot issues

I don't think that two partitions is a problem - I indeed have set up
only one, but that's only because I use a 512M compact flash and 2
partitions were generating an image that was unable to fit on my CF :)
If you set the Alix bios to use 9600 then that's fine - in fact, it's
exactly what I did as well.
You should however try out to create your own config file and use
nanobsd.sh right away - that's what worked for me at least.

cheers,
Mateusz

On 11/20/2013 05:10 PM, Dimitar Vassilev wrote:
> Thanks Mateusz,
>    I have the the ARCHs definitions properly set  in the config file, so
> this is not an issue. What I saw is that you're not initializing the 2nd
> partition which I did in the past and it worked.
> Hence I will try again with just 1 partition, I have set my console speed
> in the board BIOS to 9600 bps. If not successful again. I will set both to
> 38400.
> Dzienky,
> Dimitar
>

> 2013/11/20 Mateusz Viste <mateusz@viste-family.net>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Alix is a 32 bit i586 Geode cpu, and your build machine seems to be an
>> amd64 - I'd advise building on the same arch, it makes things a bit simpler
>> :)
>>
>> Anyway, I recently played a bit with nanoBSD myself (on an Alix box, too,
>> and on a 9.2 system like you), and at the end I gave up with the specific
>> 'pcengines' script. I used the generic nanobsd.sh script instead, modified
>> the conf file a bit (for example added "customize_cmd cust_comconsole"),
>> and then it worked like a charm.
>>
>> I documented all my steps and configuration files here:
>>
>> gopher://gopher.viste-family.net/0/myinfobase/phlogengine.
>> cgi?disp2013-11-17
>>
>> Also, note that Alix uses a unusual default serial speed (38400 bps),
>> while the nanobsd script resets the serial port to classic 9600 bps.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Mateusz
>>

>> On 11/20/2013 04:26 PM, Dimitar Vassilev wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>> I've cooked myself a nice Nanobsd set for my Alix 1D. I'm having issues
>>> with serial console not showing any messages over the cable. Cable is OK.
>>> Tried swapping the com ports and still nothing
>>> My configs are located at http://playground.oldbonez.net/
>>> The build host is
>>> FreeBSD dragon.usr.uxlab2.org 9.2-STABLE FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE #1 r256284:
>>> Fri
>>> Oct 11 02:42:10 EEST 2013
>>> root@dragon.usr.uxlab2.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
>>> amd64
>>> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz (3292.60-MHz K8-class CPU)
>>>     Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x206a7  Family = 0x6  Model = 0x2a
>>> Stepping = 7
>>>
>>> Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,
>>> APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,
>>> MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>>>
>>> Features2=0x1fbae3ff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,
>>> VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,