Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:12:11 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Alexander Radunsky <shurick@zenon.net>
To:        Aleksei Davidenko <Aleksei.Davidenko@microlink.ee>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: NAT forwarding

On 31-Jul-00 Aleksei Davidenko wrote:

> Hi,All!
> I have Free Box with NAT&ipfw  and some Oracle NT Box into inside
> network
> Oracle listening 1521 port
>
> ---> Inet -> Free BOX (NAT) --->(192.168.X.X network) - Oracle Box
> (192.168.1.10)
>
> Which IPFW rule for IPFW I must write for forwarding all packets from
> OUTSIDE request 1521 port  into inside 192.168.X.X 1521 Oracle box ?

It could be simple if your Oracle don't run under NT. For unix versions
of Oracle the simple IP-to-IP NAT for one port and permit for back
connections through 'from $iip {oracle_listener_port} to any established' is
enough (was successfully tested for Oracle 7.3.4 under Solaris).
Unfortunately, for the same version of Oracle under NT instead of unix
versions no way for NAT in the common cases. It tries to send some redirects
*inside* of the Sql*Net packets which is unusable for NAT. For this Oracle
Corp. developed product called 'Connection Manager' which is proxying such
requests and really usable for NATing. Maybe in Net8 things looks
differently - I haven't tested this.

--
Alexander A. Radunsky   AR8-RIPN  AAR2-RIPE
Zenon N.S.P. Moscow, Russia Phone: +7-095-2511071