Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:12:01 -0700
From:      Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SANs, disks, & devfs

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> It wasn't meant to be exclusionary- just additive. And the WWN and VPD
> serial number are alternate methods, both possibly qualified by lun.

  This seems perfectly sensible.  I am interested to see if there will
be some method to give a common access method (excuse the pin) that
solves both sets of requirements (abstract and direct).  This is one of
the areas in which FreeBSD can really step ahead of the other server
OSs.

> physical, while /dev names would be logical. I argued that /dev/sd[0..n] was
> perfectly adequate in this model (rather than trying to encode position
> information into the name as the /dev/[r]dsk names do). Furthermore, naming

  The c0d0t0s0 naming convention is a funny idea, I agree.  It is sort
of worst of both worlds.  :-)

> disks (at least) by volume name (the "Fred" volume) is even more convenient.

  This is a nice feature.  Do we want all three things (physical,
logical, and name) as potential disk ids?  If so, how do you tell the
tools which name space you are working in?  Some sort of accesor
character before the "name"? Search order?  What about duplicates (i.e.
someone names the disk "sd0")?

> I'd much rather see some framework in FreeBSD (and NetBSD and OpenBSD....
> Linux has a devfs going...) to accomodate this. But that isn't there yet and
> won't be for a while. I want to solve this for 5.0 for sure.

  Some of the implementation details of the JINI model are pretty
hairy.  It would be pretty wasteful if that stuff had to end up in every
driver.

  Something else that I would like to see done with devfs and procfs in
the future of FreeBSD is the ability to unify these namespaces over
several machines.  There was some really good work done at SunLabs for a
thing called Solaris MC that allowed single system image over a set of
machines.  They used a networked version of the ddi/devfs facility and
added vprocs to the proc structure to allow one machine to address the
processes and devices on another.  This leads to some very nice parallel
computation, load balancing, and HA implications.

--
Jack Rusher, Senior Engineer | mailto:jar@integratus.com
Integratus, Inc.             | http://www.integratus.com