Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:59:56 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        stuart nichols <unstable@stac.state.tx.us>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4-STABLE snapshots (was Re: releng4 no longer -STABLE???)

--==_Exmh_-1726685324P

If memory serves me right, stuart nichols wrote:
> There have been no new -STABLE snapshots on releng4
> since jun 10.  Did I miss some message that says it
> was moved?  www.freebsd.org still points to it as
> the location of the -STABLE branch installs.

No.  I don't get the build logs for the snapshots, but right around this
time, I recommended to jkh that he turn on documentation-building for
the 4-STABLE snapshots so that we get the release notes built. This
seemed pretty reasonable except that less than 24 hours later, the
release notes for 4-STABLE broke due to some collateral damage from an
I18N-related commit.  I posted a "HEADS UP" message to -stable on 11
June describing the problem.  I'm trying to fix this.

I'm not sure if that's the reason for the "no new snapshots" problem,
but it's my personal best guess.

> The Jun 10 snapshot doesn't have any packages--the
> link points off into space--and I found a message dated
> May 28 on this list asking about what happened to the
> packages, so they've been missing from there for a while.
> No reply that I could find.

Hmmm...I have no idea about this.

> And no one seems to be mentioning any of this on this
> list.  Did somebody move the barn?

No, no barn-moving.  :-(

As far as I know, the makeworld/installworld process for updating
4-STABLE from source still works, although for various unrelated
reasons, I haven't tried this recently.

Bruce.

PS.  In the future, you might try using less inflamatory subject lines.
Just a suggestion.

--==_Exmh_-1726685324P

--==_Exmh_-1726685324P--