Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:22:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.0 RC3 now available

> Once again it's my pleasure to announce Release Cadidate 3 of
> FreeBSD 5.0.

Perhaps I do things in a non-standard way, but its worked for the last 8
years from 2.x through to 4.7-stable.....

Firstly, I download 'floppies' and create the 2 boot disks, kern.flp and
mgsroot.flp. Then I download 'bin' (now called 'base'!?) to my fileserver.

Next, I boot the box with 2 the new floppies, and tell sysinstall to use
'FTP' to the fileserver URL (ftp://172.22.2.2) and install 'minimal' (in
other words, just install 'bin' (now called 'base'!? - anyone remember
the acronym POLA?)).

Sysinstall complains about not being able to find the 'crypto' stuff, but
thats ok - its always done that.

Next, I reboot the newly installed 'base' system, login as root, then
'shutdown now' to return back to network-enabled single user mode.

Then I download 'cvsup-without-gui-16.1f.tgz' (into /root) and do a
'pkg_install cvsup-without-gui-16.1f.tgz' so I can cvsup the entire source
tree onto the new box and do the make build{world,kernel} thing on the new
box.

No go for 5.0-RC3:

# pkg_add cvsup-without-gui-16.1f.tgz
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.2" not found
#

Why does pkg_install now need libssl?

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au