Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 07:54:08 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "."@babolo.ru
To:        Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, "."@babolo.ru
Subject:   Re: HD data recovery

> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:04:35 +0300 (MSK)
> "."@babolo.ru wrote:
>
> > > When multi-boot system operators go bad :-)
> > >
> > > Using my PC's bios I could select either IDE or SCSI as the
> > > boot device, so I could boot either FreeBSD/W2K with the
> > > FreeBSD bootmanager on the 1st SCSI drive, run the bios setup
> > > on reboot, and start Linux on the 1st IDE HD.
> > >
> > > Had a problem with grub and RedHat 8's up2date on the 1st IDE
> > > disk messing with my 1st SCSI HD's boot record. It was trying
> > > to "automatically" update the Linux kernel and reconfigure
> > > grub, and lost its way.
> > >
> > > Booted to FreeBSD 4-STABLE via fixit floppy and did this :-\
> > > (pre coffee)
> > >
> > > # cd /boot
> > > # dd bs=512 count=1 if=/dev/da0 of=mybootsect
> > > # dd bs=512 count=1 if=mbr of=/dev/da0
> > > # shutdown -r now
> > >
> > > I seem to recall seeing something about my SCSI controller
> > > changing the mapping of the drive layout (Tekram DC390U2W)
> > > but cannot find that info now.
> > >
> > > The drive is now unbootable, changed the drive id jumper to 1,
> > > installed a fresh FreeBSD system on a different SCSI disk at
> > > id 0 and then ran:
> > > # fdisk da1
> > > this reported a clean disk, no partitions.
> > >
> > > The munged HD is an 18 SCSI with 1st slice NTFS 4GB, 2nd slice
> > > FreeBSD 9GB, 3rd slice NTFS 5GB.
> > >
> > > Most of the important data was backed up, but lost a bunch of
> > > email and some other stuff, not to mention the time spent
> > > configuring and patching the W2K side of the disk. Modem only
> > > in my neighborhood, no broadband.
> > >
> > > Any hope for recovery of this drive? I know the missing piece
> > > of information is "out there" in the 512 byte mybootsect file I
> > > created. Is it possible to use "forensic" tools to track that
> > > down and then copy it and write it back to the correct location?
> > >
> > > Am up and running now on the spare HD, and can work on my "big
> > > mistake" at my lesiure, thanks in advance.
> >
> > dd bs=512 count=1 if=/boot/mybootsect of=/dev/da1
> > fdisk -B da1
> The file "/boot/mybootsect" is somewhere on /dev/da1 unfortunately
Do you remember the order of slices on da1 ?
I think that /boot/mybootsect is on "a" BSD partition
and that partition is first on a slice.

If you have no knowledge about place of slice, just write
simple sh cycle to create slice big enough for
your lost root partition, try to mount read only,
delete if mount is not successful and try
slice on next possible place (next cylinder
if you are shure that slice was on cylinder
border AND geometry do not changed, or next block)
until you get succseccful mount.
Then cp mybootsect to another disk, umount and
do dd and fdisk -B

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/