Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:19:56 +0100 (MET)
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio: probe test 3 failed

Nate Williams wrote:
> > Sometimes, after suspending my system, my modem card is not properly
> > reallocated. What happens is that the kernel prints:
> > 	Card inserted, slot 1
> > 	sio1: probe test 3 failed
> >
> > Removing and resinserting the card does not help anymore.
> > Taking a look at the sio driver, one can read:
> >         if (idev->id_irq != 0)
> >                 failures[3] = isa_irq_pending(idev) ? 0 : 1;
> > Inserting another modem card (same irq) gives:
> > 	Card inserted, slot 1
> > 	Nov 10 23:34:22 mouse pccardd[41]: No free configuration for card Intelligent
>
> It may be related to 'interrupts' not being properly let go in the
> system.  The interrupt masks and such are assumed to always be 'added'
> in update_intr_mask(), so it's possible that the interrupt is lost.
>
> > So somehow something seems still resident in the sio driver preventing this
> > new modem card to be properly initialised. The same thing also makes
> > the third test fail. Would you have a clue on what can be wrong?
>
> The sio driver *is* resident, due to hardware race bugs, but marked as
> unused.  However, as you are already aware, it's possible that something
> is still using it. :(

Not only possible, it *is* still being used, proved by the fact that
insertion of another modem card gives the 'no free configuration' message.
What is weird is that the following happens:
Have the Nokia modem card in slot 0
suspend
resume
(sometimes) it gives: sio1: test 3 failes
remove the card
resinsert it
sio1: test 3 fails
remove the card
insert another modem card, for the same irq
see that there is no free config

So somehow pccardd also thinks that the first modem card is still present
although it's not. So apparently, the unregistering of the card during
suspend did not work.

Let me check my logs....

Here it is:
Nov  2 15:21:50 mouse su: guido to root on /dev/ttyv0
Nov  2 15:26:09 mouse /kernel: ep0: unload
Nov  2 15:26:09 mouse /kernel: Return IRQ=10
Nov  2 15:26:09 mouse /kernel: stray irq 10
Nov  2 15:26:09 mouse /kernel: Card disabled, slot 0
<I suspend here. Clearly, slot 1 is not disabled)
Nov  2 20:00:10 mouse /kernel: resumed from suspended mode (slept 04:34:02)
Nov  2 20:00:10 mouse /kernel: Card inserted, slot 0
Nov  2 20:00:21 mouse /kernel: ep0: utp/bnc[*UTP*] address 00:60:97:8e:e3:ff
Nov  2 20:10:14 mouse /kernel: Card inserted, slot 1
Nov  2 20:10:25 mouse /kernel: sio1: probe test 3 failed
Nov  2 20:10:25 mouse pccardd[37]: driver allocation failed for Nokia Mobile Phones

-Guido