Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 16:58:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Ixokai <ixokai@cerebralmaelstrom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Ports.. final try? :)

Ixokai <ixokai@cerebralmaelstrom.com> types:
> I've asked this question on a couple prior occassions, and I
> do not think I ever actually received any sort of reply, so,
> just a bit frustrated, i'm going to try a final time :)

Well, it comes up pretty regularly, you could try searching the
archives.

> I'm currently running lots of old software. :) Gnome,
> Sawfish, Postfix, and just about everything else I have
> installed :) What's the best way to upgrade these things?

Install the latest version of -stable on a fresh disk, then install
all the packages you had installed before. Or did you mean something
other than "get the best installation" by "best way to upgrade"?

> For little programs like xmms, I'd just pkg_delete and then
> go into the ports tree and make clean install again... no
> biggie. But for big things, with lots of dependencies --
> say, Gnome, for instance, it gives errors about every
> program currently installed, blah blah.
>
> Should I force it to delete the prior version; will the new
> version work with these programs, and will they be able to
> link into it, or should I just install the new one _over_
> the old one?
>
> I'm not sure which is best.

You should *never* install a new port over an old one. You wind up
with both parts in the tree. Deleting either port probably breaks the
other one, but deleting them both is the only way to insure you've
deleted all the files.

Forcing a delete and then installing a new one may work. Or it may not
- it depends on the ports in question.

You might check out the -c option of the pkg_version command.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.