Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 95 14:30 MET
From:      me@tartufo.muc.ditec.de (Michael Elbel)
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I setup IP aliases?

In lists.freebsd.questions you write:

>This should be in the FAQ.

>To support multiple IP addresses on a single interface, you must first
>examine the situation closely.  In almost every situation, you will
>fall into one of these two cases:

>1) Multiple logical IP subnets on a single wire.  In this case, use
>the following commands:

>	ifconfig de0 inet xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa netmask mmm.nnn.ooo.ppp
>	ifconfig de0 alias inet bbb.ccc.ddd.eee netmask qqq.rrr.sss.ttt

>2) Multiple logical IP hosts on the same IP subnet.  In this case, use
>the following commands:

>	ifconfig de0 inet xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa netmask mmm.nnn.ooo.ppp
>	ifconfig de0 alias inet xxx.yyy.zzz.bbb netmask 255.255.255.255

That's interesting. I'm running multiple logical subnets on the same
wire with netmask 0xffffffff with no problem. I.e.

ifconfig de0 134.98.17.10 netmask 0xffffff00
ifconfig de0 alias 134.98.18.10 netmask 0xffffffff
ifconfig de0 alias 134.98.19.10 netmask 0xffffffff

Should I expect problems, or am I understanding something wrong?

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, DITEC, Muenchen, Germany - me@muc.ditec.de
Fermentation fault (coors dumped)