Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 1995 00:31:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Litzinger <brian@mediacity.com>
To:        duane@gargamel.ptw.com (Duane R. Ellison)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, andrew@werple.mira.net.au
Subject:   Re: Cyclades CYCLOM-16Ye/RJ45 RISC Based Multi IO

> Hello,
>
> We are considering purchasing a Cyclades 16 port multi I/O board
> (CYCLOM-16Ye/RJ45) and I would like to know if anyone is currently using
> (or previously used) one of these products.  The main reason I am writing
> this is that I noticed in the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT it says that
> the drivers are "ALPHA QUAILITY".  Since we are planning on running a ISP
> off this hardware I want to see if the drivers at least work, before we
> drop the money on the card.
>
> Thanks!

I and a number of others (including several ISPs) have been using Cyclades
cards with FreeBSD without any troubles.

However, we all all using the driver I wrote, instead of the one
supplied with FreeBSD.

Reports from me and others including Cyclades Corporations conclude
that the supplied driver doesn't work well, while the same people
have good success with my driver.

The FreeBSD people are not interested in including my driver with their
distribution so I and others maintain it from afar.

You can ftp it from

ftp://ftp.mediacity.com/pub.brian/cyb2.0fb.shar.gz

It is a production grade driver, and has been used heavily for
many months by many people.

Brian Litzinger
brian@easynet.com