Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:44:20 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        rene@fantastici.de
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HID Proxy switching

Rene,

>> I own a D-Link DBT-120 REV3 which has the latest Apple Firmware
>> loaded. This Device has the so called HID Proxy feature enabled, so
>> if I activate the device under my FreeBSD Current only the HID Part
>> is visible. Under Linux there is a tool hid2hci which is able to

what driver attaches to the device? ugen(4), uhid(4) or other? can you
tell what endpoints are available? hint: look in /var/log/messages and /dev.

>> switch between the two modes. Now I ask if there is such a tool for
>> FreeBSD?

not right now. but we can write one :)

>> I'm not a great coder but have looked into the source for hid2hci
>> but it seems it is to much depended on Linux USB / BT Stack  to
>> port it to FreeBSD. Are there any alternatives to make the device
>> useable under FreeBSD?

it does not depend on linux bluetooth stack. i'm positive it can be done
in freebsd. in non-logitech case all you need to do is send control
message. please read ugen(4) man page - its a good start (in particular
USB_DO_REQUEST). in logitech case you need to send hid report to the
device. please read usb(3) and uhid(4) man page (in particular
USB_SET_REPORT).

if you are not feeling like hacking please send me information about
your device, i.e. driver info and usb descriptors dump and i will try to
hack something for you.

> actually there is no dependency on the Linux BT stack and for
> accessing the USB functions it uses libusb. However for switching the
> Logitech Bluetooth hub it uses some hiddev magic which is Linux
> specific. So if you rib out the Logitech stuff there should be no
> problem in running hid2hci under any operating system that has
> support for libusb.

libusb is a freebsd port, which means hid2hci should also be a port. i
see no reason it use libusb. base system has all required libraries.

thanks,
max