Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 17:23:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, nirva@ishiboo.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -current kills harddrives

> > > I seriously doubt that -current is killing your hard drives.
> > > Some things you just can't do from software, even if you wanted
> > > to.
> >
> > That's not true.
> >
> > when we enabled tagged queueing on teh wide busses we
> > effectively increased teh work the drive is doing, and we probably
> > raised the temperature by another 2 or 3 degrees.

If the cooling was in adaquate or right on the edge before, making
the drive work harder and producing this extra 2 or 3 degrees of
heat could raise the drive temperature into the range that it's
life expectancy approches 0.  (Micropolis is now shipping drives
with temperature tatletell(SP) devices on them with a 71 degree C
trip point.)

> So we talk to the drives a little faster - you're saying that even
> while remaining within spec, simply making the drives work to
> performance levels is enough to expect failure?  Hmmmm.  An
> interesting point of view.

Yes, you can make hardware break, if you use it in ways that the designer
had not atticipated in the design.

Case in point, an IBM 1403 line printer (chain style) can be made to
physically break the printer chain by a magical sequence of characters
that has to be computed for each line of output (You have to know lots
of details about the character sequence on the loaded chain, and the
timing of the 1403 print hammer bank) with about 120 lines of output.

This is caused by the fact that IBM had never intended you to fire 1/3 of
the hammers every cycle line after line.  Later designs of this same
printer added some smarts in the electronics to recongnize the condition
of firing more than 1/4 of the hammers in a cycle and added stall cycles
to prevent this.

Data General 6122 10 platter disk drives could be tossed way out of head
alignment by doing full stroke seeks for an hour or two.  Some times it
would even crash the heads... or overheat the linear motor...