Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:05:12 -0400
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Steven Goodwin <steve@cit.gu.edu.au>
Cc:        User Tomdean <tomdean@speakeasy.org>, gregory@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motherboard recommendations for ATHLON.

At 02:51 2002/04/14 +1000, Steven Goodwin wrote:
>While we are on the subject of ASUS boards, my A7M266 is currently causing
>kernel panics.  It uses the AMD 760 chipset (which seems to be the
>culprit) but I'm hoping that recent fixes will solve the problem.  I'm
>compiling now with fingers crossed (metaphorically).

Well, here's the fix that worked for several people (but not Tom).

Mr. Malone has made a patch--however, I did something wrong and it didn't
apply properly. However, here's the trick, given me by Bill Triplett. Just
open up /usr/src/sys/i386/i368/i686_mem.c with your favorite text editor.
Around line 269 (in vi, it's easy to find--just do :269 while in command
mode), you'll see

u_int           cr4save;

mrd = sc->mr_desc;
Between those two lines, insert a line
return;
That's it. Putting in the word return, followed by a semi colon will keep X
from doing whatever it's doing with the MTRR, which is what is causing the
ASUS boards to lock up when XFree 4.x is started.
Then of course, you have to recompile your kernel. So, say your kernel is
called MYKERN (Sorry for the lack of originality, but I'm sleepy)
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
config MYKERN
You will then see the thing something like source is ../../compile/MYKERN
Don't forget to do make depend
So
cd ../../compile/MYKERN
make depend; make; make install
Reboot and you should be good to go.

  Note that you'll have to redo this each time that you do cvsup and
buildworld.

(Although Tom mentioned that he saw a commented out fix for ASUS in his
mem_c so maybe it simply has to be uncommented now)

(I posted this a few days ago--sorry if it's more info than you need--thing
is, I usually cut and paste from a web page that I keep on my own machine,
so that I don't have to go look it up each time)  :)

Scott Robbins