Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 2003 07:12:02 -0700
From:      =?unknown-8bit?Q?S=EAr=EAciya_Kurdistan=EE?= <sereciya@kurdistan.ath.cx>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        sh@bel.bc.ca
Subject:   Re: Undeletable ATA RAID

Hello,

> I recently added two disks to a FreeBSD system and created an ATA array with
> them. Upon rebooting, the existing array (formerly ar0) became ar1, and the
> new array was now ar0.

  I'm not sure, but you may want to try the following in your KERNEL CONFIG:

  ##The following options are valid on the ATA driver:
  ##
  ## ATA_STATIC_ID:    controller numbering is static (like the old driver)
  ##                   else the device numbers are dynamically allocated.

  options         ATA_STATIC_ID

  So don't take it for gospel, especialy coming from an atheist ;)

> Accordingly, the system didn't boot. I have since
> removed the second disk from the new array, and now the array ar0 (the new
> array) is undeletable. It complains the second disk doesn't exist. When I
> attempt to delete it, it simply returns upon reboot, and the system is again
> unbootable. It even survived a zeroing of the first disk!

  Another thing you may want to try...
  Put the hard disks from ar1 (the original ar0) on the new ar0 (former ar1)
  and see if that boots.

  Good luck!

| Welat xwe ava nake, dest bidin hevdu, pist nedin tu dijminî  |
|   Riya azadiyê ne hêsan e, hêviya xwe bernedin, dema me      |
|     nêzîk e.                                                 |
| Hevaltî bi kesên du rû nekin, hevaltî bi hevdu ra bikin      |
|   Ne ji hevaltiya wan kesên pêxwas û rû dirêj, ne bi wan     |
|     kesên xwînperest, ne jî ji yên din.                      |
|                                   -Sêrêciya Kurdistanî       |
  translation provided on request: sereciya@kurdistan.ath.cx