Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:58:03 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Anders Andersson <anders@hack.org>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Anders Andersson wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:49:32AM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > > Even the NetBSD/amiga port uses gcc.
> >
> > NetBSD/amiga just very recently got ANSIfied also :-)

[..]

> I consider the __P() to be ugly, but it solves some real
> problems:
>
> 1)	Until NetBSD and OpenBSD follow suit, removing
> 	__P() will increase cosmetic differences, and
> 	therefore will incresingly impede code sharing.

In case you didn't notice, this rant you posted is in a thread
that mentions that NetBSD *is* agressively removing __P() and OpenBSD
appear to be as well.

> The bottom line is that the policy is *already* to not put
> it in to new code, and to use prototypes instead, rendering
> new code non-portable to older platforms and uncompilable
> by older tool chains.
>
> While I may disagree with this policy strenuously, it is
> the stated policy of the FreeBSD Project.

I'm sure that after reading this thread from hell for the 20th time and
Terry's 700th rant on the subject that the policy will be changed ASAP.
Policy is easy to change, especially if it'll put this subject to rest at
long last before we have another 5 iterations of over the next few years.

The bottom line is that the effort to port gcc to an arch that only has a
K&R compiler is far more productive than trying to get our tree to build
on a K&R-only compiler.

Nobody in their right mind is going to run FreeBSD-5.x on a 6809 or
a Z80 or a 68010.  The least of their problems is the compiler.

Cheers,
-Peter