Date:      20 Apr 2002 21:30:50 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: Easy way to copy CD-ROM > MS-floppy?

Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net> writes:

| Q2: Are there any other configuration files that I should make copies of
| in preparation for the new system? (Note: I want the new system to have
| the same capabilities as the old system.)

Uh . . . depends on what capabilities you're talking about.  Last I understood,
you hadn't gotten the GallantWEB system working the way you wanted.

If it were me, I'd back up the entire /etc directory.  At the very least,
rc.conf, resolv.conf, exports, passwd, hosts, fstab, group, hosts.allow,
inetd.conf, master.passwd, ntp.conf, syslog.conf, and the kernel file in
/sys/i386/conf.  Also, if you have an Apache installation, httpd.conf in the
apache directory (typically /usr/local/etc/apache).  I'd also back up any user
data I wanted to keep.  I'd also get a list of what ports I had installed that
I'd consider critical.

| Important Facts
| ===============
| * The existing installation has *no* man pages.
| * The existing installation has *no* MS-DOS clone commands (e.g., "mcd",
|   "mcopy", etc.)
| * I could not figure out if the system has what it takes to mount an
|   MS-DOS file system -- I don't know where things are.
| * The resulting floppy must be readable by Win98SE.

Well, okay.  There's still a way you can do this.

| The backup media is a 1.44MB floppy formatted with MS-DOS.
|
| After about an hour of trying to access disc 2 of the CD set (i.e., the
| live file system), I finally figured out
|
|   mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/??? /cdrom
|
| ??? ==> I don't remember what the device name is in GallantWEB, but it is
| *not* cd0a. Luckily, I can find it again with this command:
|
|   more /etc/fstab
|
| (which *only* took me about 1/2 hour to discover).

Sorry about that.

Try

        # mkdir /floppy
        # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy

Now, of course, you have no MSDOS commands, so what you might want to do is
make a tarball with the files:

        # tar cvfz /tmp/saveme.tar.gz /etc/fstab ...

where you replace "..." with all the files you want to save.

Now comes the tricky part.  You've got to write it onto the floppy.

        # dd if=/tmp/saveme.tar.gz of=/dev/fd0

This writes the raw bitstream onto the floppy.

On the Windows box, you can read this with RAWREAD, a third-party program.

Here's one place you can get it (courtesy Google):

        http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/misc.html

Anyway, you use RAWREAD to read it, and save it to SAVEME.TGZ, which if you
really wanted, you could use WinZip to decompress.

Got all that?