Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 23:33:56 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        Burke Gallagher <burke@mcs.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: running frequent cron perl scripts

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 11:21:39PM +0200, Anton Berezin wrote:

>> if ($ip !~ ?^$OldIP$?) {

> This beats me.  Why someone needs to match a constant string against
> another constant string *backwards*?  Also, the use of ?? is
> deprecated.  Much better:

>   if ($ip ne $OldIP) {

Well, I hate to followup on my own posting, but it is late here...
?? does not match backwards.  I've just reread the docs...

But it should not be here anyway.  (This shows the amount of confusion I
have had with this line.  I've never used ?? myself, and I am pretty
sure I never will.)  :-)

--
Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
The Protein Laboratory, University of Copenhagen