Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 09:06:33 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: All mail sent to me for the last 48 hours have been lost..

> It seems that Jordan K. Hubbard said:
> >
> > Feh.  I'd say that's soured me on procmail forever more! :(
>
> I saw your  other message about the  bounces but I'm really surprised about
> procmail failing... I get about 12  or 13 MB  of mail (90% for FreeBSD :-))
> per month and have yet to loose a  single mail. 3.10 core dumped frequently
> but 3.11pre3 and 3.11pre4 are very nice.
> --

As a data point regarding procmail: After I moved a 1.1.5.1 machine
recently to 2.1 (fresh net installation) I installed xdm and X
and had it running for 24 hours. When I came into the
office after that period the machine was amnesic. (ping response
but no login possible). I reported this and Kaleb Keithley confirmed
that it was most probably be a leak in X. So far so good. Later I heard
from a colleague that he had recompiled and installed *procmail*
behind my back and procmail got the machine hung during the
kernel locking test. I'm mentioning this because Jordan was
mentioning something with locking in his original message.